1/15/2008

Choice 1 or Choice 2??

Life is full of choices... Now I'm in the midst of whether to choose to stay in technical field or to proceed with consultancy....

Choice 1: Become ABAP-er (Technical)
Pros: It's real hot on the market worldwide where if you're good at it, you could earn up to RM10k per month... that is if you got enough experience and IF you would want to stay in technical field. It would take about 5 to 6 years if you want to get that RM10k per month salary lah.

Then if after 5 or 6 years you do not want to continue with technical field and feels like changing to functional (consultancy) field, you could provided that you know the functionality of that SAP A1 system.

Cons: I'll have to be bonded by the company for 2 years without any benefit except that I get to learn what is ABAP and how SAP A1 works. I would of course get to learn ABAP from a very strong technical background "si fu" but ermmm.... too bad she's not that good at teaching.

Not saying she's bad or anything but there are people where they're good at what they do but they are not good at explaining or transferring what they know to other people... So it'll be like I'll most likely to learn ABAP by myself and of course could ask questions here and there but it wouldn't be enough. I would let them bond me IF they give me external training with a certificate.

But too bad, if I accept then must bond............

Choice 2: Become SAP B1 Consultant
Pros: No bondage!!! I could learn the basic ERP business processes and all the workflows and etc. I could finally be in the job I wanted for a long long time... well... maybe not so long lar... but for the past 2 years, I've wanted to become a consultant mar....

Cons: SAP B1 Consultant is not that hot on the market. It is actually suitable for small to medium type of companies as the system are not enough to cope for large corporation or companies. Then SAP B1 Consultant wage are not that much too. Max I think could only go up to RM5k.

If I wanted to switch from SAP B1 Consultant to SAP A1 Consultant, it'll be quite difficult as both system are considered very different from each other. Imagine SAP B1 is a grass and you want a grass to grow to become a rose, it's hard ain't it??

I've asked opinions all around and most of them would of course ask me to go for Choice 1 as it's good for my future and etc and what's more, I could earn more!! But surprisingly, it didn't interest me that much. Of course I'm not so stupid as not to want the money but it's technical. I didn't want technical anymore.

Well there's people saying, "Since you've work in technical for the past 3 or 4 years, why not another 2 years??". True but you imagine, you've been frustrated with technical job already, you're not even happy working in technical field, would you want to torture yourself for another 2 years????? You might say "Why not?!?!!?", but not me. I couldn't torture myself to do something I didn't want anymore.

Moreover, my goal is to become a consultant, so why not just head to consultancy right? Sighhhhh.... Is my choice correct?? Even Huei now is facing quite the same problem as me.... sighhhhhhhhh.....

So for you, would you choose money over your interest???????

0 blahs: